Saturday, September 19, 2009

Don't Read Me!

Contrary to the belief of most adults, the illiteracy monster hasn't completely birthed from the womb of the computer/videogame/tv megamonster. Yeah, kids spend too much time on electronic devices (I've been on my computer since six already and I'm pretty sure my laptop is lightly burning my thigh) but who's fault is that? Who bought the xbox? Who doesn't want to deal with whining 8 year olds? Who buys a freakin' kitty style gameboy to bring to a fancy dinner for her child while she's on a date and the nanny's sick. The parents!

So parents, before we get to talkin' bout da reazons I tink no ones can read, I think you should take a look at yourselves before you blame Bill Gates for your child troubles.

So who's ever been in high school? I HAVE! So who's ever read The Scarlet Letter? I HAVE! Who hated every grueling minute of it? I definitely have. The same goes for Count of Monte Cristo, Pride and Prejudice, The Catcher in the Rye, The Grapes of Wrath, Uncle Tom's Cabin, and Orthello, etc. etc. etc.

Do you think, in the majority, high school students initially WANT to read these things? No, they're told to. Do you think they enjoy reading these things? No, because they're told to. Do you think they feel like they got something out of it after all's said and done? No, because the teacher tells them what to think and what the author meant in the first place.

Ok, I know I've asked a lot of questions but, do you think that inspires kids to read after people stop telling them to? Heck no. If you think about your high school experience, most kids probably didn't even read the assigned book. Maybe if they were feeling ambitious they would look it up on sparknotes. But that definitely doesn't teach a kid how to read and understand different types of writing.

You want to know what got me into reading, even if I don't like admitting it now?

THIS DID. Harry Potter and his two eleven year old friends running around a magical castle with wands. It inspired my brain beyond what I could even comprehend at the time. Do I re-read Harry Potter every night before bed? No. Do I read only things that pertain to fantasy? No. Am I at a fourth grade reading level? F*ck no I do not. I read fiction, historic fiction, biographies, sci fi, mystery. It goes on and on. I always have a book to read. I don't contribute that to Shakespeare or Austen.

I think the whole reason kids don't like reading anymore, therefore making them illiterate in some context, is because teachers, schools, and parents shove boring, unconcerned text down our throats before we can figure out what stimulates our brains.

I absolutely love to read. If I went through high school without finding books that interested me, without reading outside of the classroom, I probably wouldn't be able to write half decent blogs for this class. Pride and Prejudice and romances that are 400 years old just don't do that for me and I think its the same problem for many others.

Feed young brains with what their lives concern, not what concerns over aged precinct.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, kids should read current books that interest as well as connects to their personal lives.Then they would spend hours reading, which will stimulate their brain cells. But I don't mean books like 'Gossip' girl or the gross factor Highschool musical series books. I'm not dissing them but its not like they have big vocabulary words. Books such as Harry Potter like you mentioned, Wayside School Kids (loved as a kid) and even one of the classics Charlotte's Web. its seems like teachers aren't listening or pay attention to what issues and interests involve kids today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed I agree. I definitely agree that stuff like gossip girl should be bought for self enjoyment if that is what interests them, but in school if they had something to read that is more pertinent to their lives and emotions, they would be more likely to read the book through. Also, these types of books probably wouldn't be on websites like sparknotes.com so the teacher could better identify who is doing the work and who is not.

    ReplyDelete

Followers