Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Fashion is Hip and... Boring?


When I think of fashion, I think of hip trendy girls like the ones to the left. Based on just what they are wearing, they grab my attention. You can see diagonal lines leading your eye around and even strengthening the look of the human structure; you have different shoes and colors and patterns, etc.; there is diversity in how these things can be worn. Hell, maybe if we wore stuff like that we would look just as great as those two women. The point I'm trying to make is that these four outfits look trendy. They look "in". They grab my attention and keep it there until I take in all the details.

I was looking up fashion blogs today expecting to get some visual stimulation because you would think the blogging world of fashion would have cool layouts and such. The only one I was actually interested in reading was likeWise - the official fashion blog of like.com. They have some decent tips that I might follow... they also have some pretty horrific ones like the September 15 post on black fur boots that have ugly croc like things attached to them. But anyway...

So I was reading along, taking in their advice and their design at the same time. Before I scrolled down I would say that it looks like a hip reliable fashion resource; but as I got past the side columns and links all I saw were words, pictures about what they were talking about (which is helpful, I give them credit) and blank space.















(BLANK SPACE)

If I see a large amount of blank space for a fashion WEBSITE I would think expensive, upperclass, White House Black Market, etc. - probably things I wouldn't wear. There would probably be some fancy cursive header and serif'ed price tags. When I look at this fashion BLOG there is nothing about it that visually points out that I will look hip if I wear what they tell me. I want some color and some stripes and some shapes...colored shapes!!

Like I was talking about in my previous post, Urban Outfitters gives you emotion. They set up their website so you get the feeling that if you wear their clothes you will be carefree and drop-dead gorgeous at the same time. This website doesn't give me any feelings on whether I'll look trendy or not.

I guess what I'm saying isn't a HUGE deal... but I want more than words, at least when it comes to something artistic (and fashion is artistic) to tell me that I'll look good. This blog is saying a lot but the visual output is not as inspiring and I think it is really important for both the content and the design (at least in this perspective) to be on the same level.

If this was a blog on different types of printer paper I would understand but seeing as it's not, I just don't get it. If likeWise was translated into something I would wear, my shoulders would be trendy and the rest of my outfit would be florescent white.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers