Monday, February 8, 2010

The Creative Journal



I was thinking of subjects I could write about for production and one thing that came to mind were journals; you know, the ones you buy to write all your secrets in.. or something along those lines. But if you've ever noticed, there are tons of them!




You have your cliche ones, ones that come with a cute little lock, arty ones, keepsakes, and just "I need something to carry around so I don't forget my life". All of them are pretty much laid out the same, with the same lines (some further spaced out than others for the amateur journal-er) but they all give the artist a different vibe. Here are some I found, that you can buy, that I found interesting.

This, I feel like, is your typical "I want a journal where I can express my feelings about life". It's got a feminine quality, a free flying, cough-falling, quality. It's typical, but it has a good aesthetic.

The moleskine. It's a major brand in the contenders of journal-ing, diary-ing, sketching, listing, planning etc. etc. They make one for all uses. I like this choice because it's not creative, but you are the one that makes it creative. You can make it whatever you want and I feel like the lack of a creative cover or image lets you do what you want with it. I think cover images can put creative limitations on your journal inadvertently
 

I like this one. It's similar in layout and functionality as the moleskine. It has a little more artistic decoration which I enjoy. The tree is always a great symbol for the growth of a thought or purpose. The colors are soothing and it's geared more towards females because of the color scheme and accompanying butterflies. It's not too out there, but it serves a purpose.


This journal I really enjoy because it takes more expressive liberties while giving you creative directions at the same time. I also like this one because of the title, "Wreck This Journal". It definitely starts out with a motive and will drive certain consumers to buy it.


As you can see, it says "fill this page with circles". Like I said, it gives you direction, but do you think that every person who has this drew the same circles? Nahh, they all drew different weird, quirky, silly circles that basically describes a little bit about themselves. This journal was produced to be creative personal expression in a container.


This page says "Hide a Secret Message Somewhere in this Page". I really just like this one because it has those candies I can't remember the name of glued to it. Maybe the secret is I'm a secret glutton even though I'm dead skinny. I just really like the way this thing was put together because you can express yourself in all these different forms but it gives you a direction to go on. I think that's the biggest setback with creative people, they know they have all this creative energy in themselves but they don't know what to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers